Thursday, September 19, 2013

Apple Bread

I don't remember where I got the original recipe so I apologize for not being able to give proper credit.

Even though I don't care for eating apples by themselves (it's the sticky chin thing!),  I love apple-baked foods, such as this sweet, fall-tasting apple bread (and applesauce.)

don't judge based on my crappy photographing skills

I made these loaves yesterday and barely 24 hours later, one of them is nearly gone.


  • 3-4 cups chopped apple
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 cups of sugar (I used 1 and 1/2 cups this time)
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (I used the applesauce that I made the other day, so I reduced the sugar )
  • 1 TBSP vanilla
  • 3 cups flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon (again, I cut the amount to 1/4 tsp because the applesauce I used was doused in cinnamon)
  • Cinnamon-sugar mixture (optional, but you're crazy if you opt not to)

This was 4 large apples which yielded four large cups of chopped apple


  • Grease/flour 2 loaf pans and preheat the over to 325.
Disposable pans=easier clean up and great for freezing or giving away
  • Slightly beat the eggs, sugar, oil, applesauce, and vanilla.
  • Add flour, baking powder, cinnamon all at once.
  • Mix until just blended-don't over beat. 

  • Fold in diced apples.

  • Divide batter between 2 loaf pans.
  • Sprinkle tops with cinnamon-sugar.
  • Put in oven.
  • Comment how delicious your house smells.
  • Bake one hour and ten minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.

If freezing, wait until the next day to wrap up tightly in tin foil and plastic bag, labeled of course!

This bread tastes significantly better the next day.
If you want to prep the apples in advance, squirt a drop of lemon or lime juice on them and put them in a container in the fridge. The lemon juice will keep the apples from browning.
-This holds very well in the freezer
-It is super easy to double the recipe and make four loaves.

Question for you:
Is there a food that you don't like but not because of the taste-for any other reason?

No comments:

Post a Comment