Thursday, September 19, 2013

Apple Bread

I don't remember where I got the original recipe so I apologize for not being able to give proper credit.

Even though I don't care for eating apples by themselves (it's the sticky chin thing!),  I love apple-baked foods, such as this sweet, fall-tasting apple bread (and applesauce.)


don't judge based on my crappy photographing skills



I made these loaves yesterday and barely 24 hours later, one of them is nearly gone.



Ingredients:

  • 3-4 cups chopped apple
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 cups of sugar (I used 1 and 1/2 cups this time)
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (I used the applesauce that I made the other day, so I reduced the sugar )
  • 1 TBSP vanilla
  • 3 cups flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon (again, I cut the amount to 1/4 tsp because the applesauce I used was doused in cinnamon)
  • Cinnamon-sugar mixture (optional, but you're crazy if you opt not to)




This was 4 large apples which yielded four large cups of chopped apple

Directions:


  • Grease/flour 2 loaf pans and preheat the over to 325.
Disposable pans=easier clean up and great for freezing or giving away
  • Slightly beat the eggs, sugar, oil, applesauce, and vanilla.
  • Add flour, baking powder, cinnamon all at once.
  • Mix until just blended-don't over beat. 

  • Fold in diced apples.

  • Divide batter between 2 loaf pans.
  • Sprinkle tops with cinnamon-sugar.
  • Put in oven.
  • Comment how delicious your house smells.
  • Bake one hour and ten minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.



If freezing, wait until the next day to wrap up tightly in tin foil and plastic bag, labeled of course!

Tips:
This bread tastes significantly better the next day.
If you want to prep the apples in advance, squirt a drop of lemon or lime juice on them and put them in a container in the fridge. The lemon juice will keep the apples from browning.
-This holds very well in the freezer
-It is super easy to double the recipe and make four loaves.


Question for you:
Is there a food that you don't like but not because of the taste-for any other reason?

No comments:

Post a Comment