Friday, January 31, 2014

Making small goals to lead to better life habits

So I started this post in the beginning of January with intentions of finishing.....but then I got distracted and not motivated to do much blogging.

The premise of this started with the obligatory new years resolutions. With the upcoming wedding and my recent milestone birthday, I wanted my resolution to be an overall healthier and better lifestyle. So I came up with the idea that I was going to make 2 small goals that I could focus on for January and I was going to do my best to stick with those goals. At the end of the month, I could reassess to determine if they were realistic and could become lifestyle changes or if they were completely unrealistic.


My first goal was a health related goal and that was to cut myself off from the kitchen after 8:00. I have a horrible habit of snacking binging at night so I gave myself some rules: I could drink as much water after 8, but nothing else. I gave myself Friday and Saturday's off because I knew that wouldn't be realistic.

The verdict: With the exception of 2, maybe 3, nights, where extenuating circumstances came up (like I didn't get home until way past 8 and one afternoon I was sick, but starving by nighttime), I really stuck to it and will continue to maintain this no-eating-after-8:00-thing.


My second goal was fitness based and it was to complete  the 30 day sit up challenge, push up challenge, and burpee challenge. Every day. No matter what. I am determined to look and feel kick-ass in my wedding dress and for the first time in YEARS, wear a bikini on my honeymoon so I figured I gotta get my ass in gear.
30 Day Sit Up Challenge Fitness Workout Chart
source

30 Day Easy Push Up Challenge Chart
 

The verdict: DONE. I didn't miss a single day. I did get incredibly sick and ending up in the hospital during one of the days, so I just switched out the upcoming rest day, but I am SO PROUD of myself for sticking to this. As the days increased, I broke down the large numbers into smaller ones and rotated through all the different exercises until completion. For example, I would do 12 burpees, then 4 pushups, then 27 sit-ups, then I would do 7 more burpees, 3 more pushups, 38 more sit-ups, etc. until I reached the total amount for the day.



So, to up my own ante for February:

Health goal: I am going to continue to the no eating after 8:00 habit. My new goal will be to drink an entire glass of water before breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I guarantee I am going to be peeing even more than I already do.

Fitness goal: My goal is to be able to do 20 pushups consecutively, 50 burpees consecutively, and 100 sit-ups consecutively. I am also going to start tackling the pull-up bar. Daily plans to come-I need them to keep myself accountable!

I am adding a financial goal: I am going to figure out a way to pay off $350.00 towards my credit card bill. My long-term goal is to pay off the entire debt before the wedding. I already budget $150/month towards the bill but I am going to find every possible way to scrape together a total amount of $350.00 for this month.



How are your New Years resolutions going?


No comments:

Post a Comment