Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Maple Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Bisque

One of my favorite things about fall is the return of butternut squash, soup, and of course-butternut squash soup.

I combined 3-4 different recipes that I had stashed away in my recipe book and came up with this recipe last week.
It was creamy, satisfying, and tasted like Fall.

What I  used:
-1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cubed
-2 sweet potatos, peeled and cubed
-half an onion, chopped
-6 cloves of garlic, minced
-32 ounces of water
-4 chicken bouillon cubes
-3-4 drops of liquid smoke
-1-2 tsp of sage
-generous sprinkle of apple-smoked sea salt
-1/4-1/3 cup of maple syrup
-can of non-fat evaporated milk
Directions:
1. Add all ingredients into crockpot EXCEPT evaporated milk
2. Give a good mix to get everything incorporated
3. Set on high 3-4 hours or low 6-8 hours
4. Once squash and potatoes are tender, use an immersion blender to puree it all -or work in batches and send through the blender or food processor



5. Sir in can of evaporated milk and give another good mix.





This was by far one of my favorite soups I have ever made. I loved all the different flavors of the squash and potatoes as well as the maple syrup. Next time, I would add a few more drops of liquid smoke to get a really good smoky flavor.



What's your favorite kind of soup?



  

2 comments: