Thursday, October 24, 2013

Guilt Free Pizza-Cauliflower Pizza Dough

I am home sick today (stomach bug I think...feeling better after sleeping it off for a few hours, but still...)




Before I take myself back to the couch to curl up with the dog (shhh, he's not allowed on the couch but I let him up when it's just the two of us), I wanted to share with you one of my favorite ways to healthify a pizza.

A few days ago, I once again tricked the teenager into eating vegetables because lets face it, sometimes it's just a hell of a lot easier to trick him than to go through the process of dealing with the disgust look on his face at the sight of a vegetable. 

I made homemade pizza with a cauliflower pizza crust and as always, it was really good. 

I found the original recipe here but I had to adapt it to feed the three of us. I would suggest following the original recipe the first time to see what the consistency of the "dough" should look and feel like and then go from there. 


Here is what you need:
-cauliflower (I used about half a large head)
-shredded mozzarella cheese (I used probably a cup and a half)
-shredded Parmesan cheese (I used half a cup or so)
-1-2 eggs, depending upon how big of a crust you are making (I used one egg) 
-herbs and spices of your liking. I used salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder, and basil

How to:
1. Preheat oven to 450. 

First you need to rice the cauliflower, which a fancy way of saying get it really small and then heat it up. 

If you are lucky enough, you can put cauliflower in a food processor. 

If you are like me, you have to manually grate it over the cheese grater. It takes forever. And makes a huge mess. (it's worth it though to be able to eat pizza without feeling guilty)


grating away
At this point, I may have said to Ryan that it would be nice to get a food processor, hoping he would get the hint



2. Put the cauliflower in a microwave safe bowl and heat up for 8-10 minutes, depending upon how much cauliflower you have.

3. Add mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, egg, and herbs. Mix until you get the right consistency.

Spices are added

Mozzarella cheese. YUM

More cheese


Add an egg or two

4. Spray a pan LIBERALLY with cooking spray and form the dough into a flat rectangle, so that it is 1/4-1/2 inch thick. If it is too thin, it will burn. If it's tho thick, it wont cook through. 

Pat out the dough until you get the right thickness




5. Brush a bit of olive oil onto the top of the dough and bake for 15-17 minutes. 
6. Meanwhile, heat up sauce over the stove and prepare all of the other ingredients you are planning on using. If any ingredients need to be cooked, or warmed up, this is the time to do it. 

7. Take the pizza out of the oven and quickly prepare you pizza. I added tomato sauce, fresh spinach, mozzarella cheese and cheddar cheese. 

8. Broil a few minutes (2-4 minutes) until cheese has melted. 
After this, I threw out the pan.
It is definitely time for a new one. 

That's it. Guilt-free pizza! 


While I was waiting for the dough to cook, the skies outside were GORGEOUS. Pink and orange hues were sparkling over the pond and into the distance. Crappy phone pictures don't nearly give the view justice. 




Enjoy the pizza. 

I'm off to snuggle with Mulder and watch endless episodes of Say Yes To The Dress. 

Question for you:
What's your favorite pizza toppings?



No comments:

Post a Comment