Monday, June 10, 2013

Recipe for Fiddleheads


I have been working for a while on 101 in 1001 list and it is finally finished. My 101 activities/goals to do in 1001 days will be posted very very soon. Very excited for it!

And just to keep you smiling, happy Monday morning from this guy:






I wanted to get the fiddlehead recipe officially down on paper? blog..so I could post it and put it up on the recipe page. I didn't really measure anything or time it so use your own judgement




What you need:
fiddleheads (I used about two handfuls)
olive oil
sea salt
chopped garlic (I probably used 4 large cloves but keep in mind that we like things really garlick-y around here)


1. Wash fiddleheads very well...rinse, rinse, rinse. Trim the ends. I also pulled off a lot of the foliage looking crap. 

2. Bring salted water to a rapid boil. 

3. Meanwhile, heat olive oil and add in  chopped/minced -whatever- garlic. 


    



4. When water is boiling, add fiddleheads until bright green, about 4-7 minutes or so. I guess. (Not sure).  Drain fiddleheads and immediately rinse under cold water to stop the cooking process. 



((When I was making these, I turned off the heat on the skillet at this point and just let the garlic continue infusing into the oil as I was waiting for the rest of the dinner to come together))

5. Saute fiddleheads in the garlic/oil mixture for a minute or two, add sea salt. 





6. Serve. 



Since it was just us, I didn't bother with real dishes. We didnt even use utensils. Yep, sometimes we eat with our hands. 

I also want to give the disclaimer that I am not a photographer. I am using the camera on my phone. Good enough. 

2 comments:

  1. Never heard of fiddleheads! What are they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fiddleheads are a type of fern that grows along side of rivers. They are typically harvested-not grown or planted-according to the local farmer.

    He gave us plenty of cooking suggestions and basically told us they were very similar to asparagus. They reminded me of a cross between asparagus and a green beans.

    ReplyDelete