Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Mmmmmm....salsa

So, I am typically not a huge salsa person-I mean, I'll eat it if it happens to be in front of me, but I usually don't go out of my way to buy it or eat it.

And then, I stumbled upon this recipe from Inspire, Design, and Create and fell in love with salsa.

Even  Ryan, who LOVES LOVES LOVES salsa and goes on a quest to find various kinds of salsa, has requested of me to make this regularly and keep it in the fridge. (I not so secretly became thrilled with myself that my boyfriend loves my "cooking")

I served this at the barbeque we had over Memorial Day weekend and it was a huge hit.

So here's what I used:

-1 of each pepper: yellow, red, green, orange
-1-2 jalapeno's, depending on how spicy you like your salsa.
-1 red onion
-1 can of each: black eyed peas, shoepeg corn (I used a can of white corn. I'm pretty sure it's the same thing), and pinto beans.

-Somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4 cup of olive oil ( First time I made this, I used 1/4 cup but found that it was too much)
-3/4 cup of sugar (original recipe says 1 cup but I am trying to reduce the amount of sugar)
-3/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
-ground black pepper

image.jpg

How to:
Bring the oil, sugar, vinegar, pepper to a boil to dissolve the sugar. Let cool down.
image.jpg
Meanwhile, chop up the peppers, jalapeno's, red onion. I use a chopper which contains all the small pieces and makes it soooo much easier, especially because all the pieces are the same size.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Drain the beans and corn.

Mix the peppers, onion, beans, and corn in a large bowl.

image.jpg  image.jpg

image.jpg  image.jpg

 Add the liquid mixture once it has cooled down and give it another good mix to get everything coated.

Let sit in the fridge overnight before serving.

It makes a good size batch and keeps in the fridge for a while.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment