Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Update on the house stuff


The past few days have been pretty busy. Actually very busy. The weekend of the 11-12th, we went to Times Square for the Teenagers birthday. He loved it. Our wallets didn’t. This trip confirmed we are not city people. 
Last weekend, Ryan and I go to work on the house and did project after project. I have to give Ryan credit-he powered through and did way more work while I found lots of opporutnties to attempt to beat my level in candy crush.


We started getting responses to our bbq (T-4 days) and I’m looking forward to this “cram” time to get the rest of it done. Since last time, here is what has been accomplished:

Master bedroom/bathroom:
-Hang up curtains in master bedroom  A gazzliion stores later, this is finally done
-Hang up blinds in master bathroom: Still waiting for these to be delivered. Writing up this post is reminding me that they should be here by now…Maybe a phone call to Home Depot is warranted.
-Remove clutter/find a place for clutter that's gathering in the bedroom :

New:
-replace electrical outlets throughout bedroom.
-Finish spray painting the pulls for the drawers and furniture. They were a bright silver when we bought the furniture and we have been meaning to do this for a while. I started but then ran out of spray paint. Now, I am just waiting for a good opportunity to finish this.

-Find lamps, other lighting for bedroom: We couldn’t find wall sconces that we liked so instead, we went a little unconventional and used mini-lanterns meant for outside. They look freaking awesome.  I still need to find a tall lamp for the corner of the room but it's not a priority.

The teenager's room:
-Hang up curtains in his bedroom:

New: electrical outlets in bedroom

Hallway:
-Hang up pictures in hallway/remove clutter gathering in hallway

New: electrical outlets

Office:
-remove piles of crap
-push back desk
New:
-figure out what to do with the stupid electric drum kit
-clean up and make it look presentable


FILE/Organize paperwork: this will be a long process because I need to start the filing system from scratch but I am hoping to get something temporary in the meantime.



Dining Area:
-Find rug for dining room table area

Kitchen:

Living Room:
-Wiring for cable for TV in living room...no more extension cords! Ryan took care of all the wiring for the television, speakers, and all the equipment and hid it in the wire mold. I spray painted the wire mold so it wasn't stark white
-Find high-top table
-Take out anything that does not belong in the living room
 -Remove old hearth, install new hearth-may need to rethink this one. Hearths turned out to be a lot more expensive than we anticipated. We may end up replacing the panel of glass that shattered and doing a spray paint treatment on the ugly gold. We took the hearth off and cleaned out the fireplace log holder thing. It looks significantly better with a quick coat of the high-heat spray paint.
-Buy fireplace tools


Outdoor Patio:
-patio furniture set: We got a great deal on this, mainly because the clerk didn't scan the items properly.

Bathroom:
-Hang up blinds in bathroom-still waiting for the delivery
-Put up shelves in hallway bathroom/reorganize shelving system. Yup, I spray painted them and they look SO MUCH BETTER. I want to refold all the towels but that’s not that big of a deal.

Laundry Area:
- Clean floor/install flooring
-Clean out slop sink; thanks ryan for removing
- Hang pictures/freshen up

It's still a work in process but I think we've got a pretty good handle on everything. I will put up a post later on menu and other recipes but I think the next few days are going to look like this:
Tuesday-Thursday: finish up as many projects as possible in between working three jobs, maintaining the daily chores of laundry, dishes, and other upkeep.
Friday: Food shopping (BJ's, Liquor store, Stop and Shop). Ideally, I would like to treat myself to a manicure and pedicure that day and do a workout
Saturday: Workout, do all the cooking, as much prep as possible. I'd like to wash the blankets in the living room and bedding (dog=dog hair embedded throughout them. Although it doesn't bother me, I'd like it to look a little better for when we have people over. We have another bbq that day starting at 3:00 but we will probably get there a little later so we can do more around our house.
Sunday: Last minute cleanup (vacuum rugs, clean bathrooms, general tidy-up throughout the house, sweep/mop floors, etc.) We are expecting people at 2:00 so if I get up early enough, I can get a workout in and give myself time to get all dolled up. Bought a new dress and everything for this!

This housewarming is a really big deal to me. My parents and Ryan's parents (actually all of our siblings as well) are meeting for the first time. There have been family issues, particularly on my side, regarding this relationship so this is a really big deal to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment