Wednesday, May 8, 2013

One Last Thing



I'm sitting in my messy/incompletely unorganized office with the dog curled up at my feet and feeling really content.  I wanted to do some work on the house after work today -or at very least,  the everyday upkeep: laundry and dishes- but ended up going out for a bite to eat with a co-worker after the faculty meeting. Glass of wine and girls impromptu night out vs. washing dishes...no brainer. Plus, one of my alternatives to yelling as part of my self-imposed  "no-yelling" challenges is to actively focus on doing things for myself instead of being so overbearingly concerned about The Teenager.  
Even though i wanted to work on the house tonight, I still feel like I get to check something huge off that massive to-do list.  I FINALLY managed to get the what I think are the right curtains and curtain rods. Since last Saturday, I have made over 10 trips to various stores to purchase and/or return curtains and rods. Wrong size, wrong color, wrong type. I ended up at a cute store I had never heard of until someone at Lowe's tipped me off to it. Coincidentally   I found myself passing it on my way home from dinner.. Turns out, this place was fantastic. I just wish I could remember the name of it! I found curtains for the master bedroom and the Teenagers bedroom. Check that off my to-do list. 
One Last Thing: 
I have been following Tina's blog, Carrots 'N' Cake for a long time now and found this survey. It reminded me of those facebook/aol/mass email surveys my friends and I used to (still) do....
LAST SPLURGE: Hmmm...probably the kitchen sink. Our house has the ugliest, most inconvenient sink. Inventing in a new sink was eventually going to happen but we just couldn't deal with it any longer.  When we purchased the  new sink, we knew it would have to be a specialty order because of the dimensions but apparently didn't realize JUST how expensive a kitchen sink was. Even more shocking was how much the faucets cost. But it came in today and I am looking forward to Ryan installing it soon. 
LAST ROMANTIC GESTURE: I found these silly/cute flip flop things with cleaning pads on the bottom so you clean the floor while wearing them. Since Ryan is secretly proud of cleaning the floors on a daily basis, I couldn't help but think of him when I stumbled upon them. Funniest thing is that they are clearly made for women: bright green with polka dots. 
LAST THING I COOKED: Last Sunday  I threw a bunch of stuff in a crock pot and called it soup. Turned out to be really good. I literally threw in a bunch of stuff: chopped celery, potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, can of cannelloni beans, can of kidney beans, a bunch of vegetable and chicken bullion cubes  some water, can of diced tomatoes, a handful of spinach, and two chicken breasts.  Cooked it on low for 8 hours, put the chicken in the mix-master to shred it, and called it soup. Best part is that I made a good amount and froze about half of it for the future. 
LAST HOME IMPROVEMENT: Even though the curtains are not installed yet, I am still considering the purchase of them to be the most recent home improvement. 

No-yelling challenge: 
I can officially say I made it through one full day without yelling. Granted I wasn't around for most of the day but when I asked the Teenager to take care of a few things (i.e. empty trash in the bathroom and bring down his dirty clothes-all stuff that he should be doing without having to be told anymore), there was no yelling involved despite the disgruntled noises coming from the Teenager. 
Today feels good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment