Thursday, July 25, 2013

Skillet Style Gnocchi with Fresh Squash and Corn


I took an overly relaxing-do-nothing-of-importance day yesterday so today I am forcing myself to be in kick-butt-feel-productive mode.

Even Mulder decided that sitting and looking out the window for HOURS on end was more than enough to do. The teenager was outside doing some (very heavily bribed) yard work, and Mulder watched him like a hawk.



Despite being lazy,  no that was right-I was being incredibly lazy. Anyways, despite being lazy, I did manage to make a pretty quick, delicious, and simple dinner (simple=very few dishes)

* I adapted this recipe from a something that I've had in my recipe book for a while but I don't remember where I got it from. 

Ingredients:
-Package of gnocchi (more power to you if you make your own)
-3 ears of corn, removed from the cob
-1 small zucchini and yellow squash, cut into small pieces
-Minced garlic
-1/4 cup half and half
- 2-3 TBSP Parmesan cheese
-Fresh basil (I used 12-15 small leaves), chopped up
-Olive oil and/or butter
-Seasonings: sea salt, onion powder, oregano, pepper





Directions:
1. In a large cast iron skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. When oil is hot, spread gnocchi in an even layer. Let cook about 3-5 minutes, without touching it. Flip to the other side. Same thing: 3-5 minutes without touching.



2. Set gnocchi aside in a bowl. Add some more oil and/or butter to the skillet and let the oil warm up. Saute the garlic, corn, zucchini/squash until tender. Season as you see fit: sea salt, pepper, oregano, onion powder, etc.


3. Turn off the heat. Add the half and half, basil, and Parmesan cheese. Stir to combine.

4. Add the gnocchi back to the skillet and give it a final stir to incorporate all the ingredients. Add more seasonings if needed.


5. Let sit in the hot skillet for a few minutes to re-warm the gnocchi.

Enjoy!!!
Even the teenager, who is an insanely picky and stubborn eater, went back for seconds. Ryan loved the crisp of the gnocchi and vegetables and so did I. In the past, I have always boiled the gnocchi but I have found that cooking it in the skillet added a refreshing crispiness to it.


 I'm off to make up for yesterday's lack of productivity. On the docket for today: cleaning the bathroom, doing this workout, preparing for a meeting, having the meeting, and going to work.

Happy Thursday!

Question for you:
What do you do on super-lazy-absolutely-not-productive days?







No comments:

Post a Comment