Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Score! Double Score!! Triple Score!!!

I am feeling super accomplished! 

As part of my profession, I am required to complete 30 hours of Continuing Education Courses every three years. My three year cycle ends in December and I was able to complete my 30 hours as of last night! Score!!!

I used the speechpathology.com website and had the best experience with it. 
Typically, there are conferences and courses you can register for and attend; however, the time commitment is not always convenient and they are extremely expensive. I've had flyers sent to me for weekend long courses that are far away enough that I would have had to spend money for a hotel and food accommodations. Additionally, those courses are well over a couple hundred dollars just to attend and the amount of CEU credits that can be earned in a single weekend long doesn't justify spending the amount of money being spent (for me, at least.) 

While there is something to be said for direct learning, being with other people, and the questions and answer with the facilitator, I found that my $99.00 annual subscription was money well spent. I was able to access an unlimited amount of courses based on my interests. I chose text-based courses (as opposed to video presentations or live seminars) for the sole reason that I could print the text and the quiz questions and complete on my own time (within reason-there is a three week time span from when you "register" for a course and have to complete it). 

Best part of all, the transcripts from the courses can be sent directly from the website to the American Speech and Hearing Association for processing to comply with national certification regulations. 

All in all, I was so invested in the process, that I was able to complete all 30 courses and corresponding quizzes within a matter of three weeks. Double Score!!! 

Triple Score....wait for it ....my annual subscription is valid until July 2014 so come January, I am going to get a head start on my next 30 hours. My goal is to complete the 30 hours before my subscription runs out so I won't have to pay another fee. 

Another $5.00 to my savings account for another goal accomplished in my 101 in 1001 lists. 


Updates on some 101 in 1001 goals in progress:

-I am going to my mothers house on Friday to learn how to cook her pot roast 
-I finished my latest book (The Lost Years by Mary Higgins Clark) and am in the middle of my next book 
-I have about a week and half left of my month of not buying coffee
-Still working on my 2000 piece puzzle. Made some significant progress in the last few days
-I'm slowly but surely working on paying down my credit card bill and car loan
-Does my obsession with playing Candy Crush count for something?
-Painting the living room/kitchen/dining area. I completed the living room area, but have to go back for some touch-ups and still get started on the other side of the room. 

Happy Hump Day!

Question for you:
Do you have to do any continuing education for your profession?
What goals are you working on?
Any book recommendations? 




1 comment:

  1. That's awesome! You must feel super accomplished!
    And yes, I would say Candy Crush counts for something ;)
    Can't wait to see the paint colors you've picked out for the kitchen/dining area.

    ReplyDelete