Friday, October 25, 2013

Make My Day

I've am LOVING my job at my new school and strongly feel that I have found my "work home"-something I have struggled with in the past. I have never felt like I had "friends" at work-I mean, I always got a long with everyone; but nothing on a personal level. Since I have every intention on staying at this specific school until I retire (yes, I have found "the happy work place"), I would really like it if I had actual friendships at work. 

So when the principal of my school put up a flyer for a voluntary activity that runs the entire school year that sort of resembles "secret Santa", I thought it was a great chance to get to know my co-workers better. The concept is that every one given a name and you are responsible for doing something nice and "making their day" by secretly giving the person a coffee, pastry, gift card, small gift, etc. This happens about once a month on a designated day. 

I don't think the idea is to spend a lot of money; I think it's more along the idea of doing something nice for another person. In essence, "making their day."

I received the name of my person today and I am already brewing up some fun idea's. Our first exchange is next Friday and I would like to take care of it (if possible), this weekend. 

I was going to bake a chocolate chip pumpkin loaf soon and decided this would be a great opportunity to double (maybe even triple) the recipe (one for the house, one for the freezer, one for my "person") 

I don't want to always feel the need to go all out to bake something each month, so some other idea's that I thought might be cute (thanks Pinterest for many of the ideas):
  • spare batteries for the classroom (always needed in a classroom!)
  • $5.00 gift card to Dunkin Donuts
  • mini manicure kit to keep in the classroom (nail file, disposable nail polish remover, etc.)
  • mug filled with packet of hot chocolate
  • candle
  • fresh flowers/plant
  • To-go cup filled with crystal light packets  
But of course I do plan on doing some baking/cooking items:
  • jar of homemade spaghetti sauce
  • my mothers infamous chocolate covered pretzels
  • batch of my grandmothers cookies

Any other suggestions for the duration of the year would be greatly appreciated, especially cheap, non-food items!


I'm off to a friends birthday party tonight, but before I go, remember when I had to figure out what I was going to do with the giant bag of the teenagers clothes? Well, I finally was able to get an appointment (who the hell knew you needed an appointment for shit like this???) and brought the stuff in this afternoon. The lady said most of it wasn't able to be consigned but she did keep a few things and told me to bring back the summer clothing in a few months. All in all, I left with only one trash bag (as opposed to the two bags I brought in) and $20.00


So, yeah, birthday party tonight, and a really exciting weekend ahead of me. I'll tell you all about it on Monday.


Question for you:

What are you up to this weekend?




No comments:

Post a Comment